Wine can quickly change in flavor when exposed to oxygen which gives the wine more character and a crisper taste. However, a lot of people may have heard that it is good to leave wine in a decanter, but they do not actually know why and for how long. In this article, we are going to tell answer your question of how long you can leave wine in a decanter.
What is a wine decanter?
A wine decanter is a special kind of glass ornament that is used to pour wine into a certain amount of time before you pour it in order to all the wine to oxidize and also it is a much more classy and aesthetically pleasing way to serve wine compared to just pouring it straight from the bottle.
What is a wine decanter used for?
– A wine decanter’s main purpose is to bring out the authentic flavors and smells found in wine that is a lot of the time subdued naturally by the alcohol as alcohol is a preservative. By using a wine decanter you make the wine be exposed to the air in an effective way that also prevents overexposure.
– It can also be used to store wine overnight in order to maintain the quality of the flavor and texture of the wine. It is important to note that this is only for storing wine for a short period of time that is recommended to be max 24 hours, if you are planning to store wine that you have opened for longer periods of time then you need to pour it back in the wine bottle, seal it with a cork and store it in a cool, dry place in a shade which will ensure that you can keep your wine at a good level of quality for 3 to 5 days.
– Furthermore, a wine decanter can be used to remove impurities in your wine such as Tartrate Crystals that can develop in the wine naturally and are generally unpleasant to consume. By using a wine decanter, you ensure to quality check the wine you are serving to yourself and the guests at your table to avoid any nasty surprises.
Benefits of using a wine decanter
– It will oxidize the wine and enhance the flavors and smells of the wine which will make it a better and more enjoyable experience. The results you will get will mostly depend on the biggest factor which is how long you will decant your wine. To get more information on this you can scroll down to our ‘How Long Can You Leave Wine in a Decanter‘ section and read more information on this.
– Another advantage is the fact that it looks much better and much more stylish when you are pouring the wine from a decanter for guests. This may seem like a small reason to use a decanter but believe me, there are a lot of different wine decanters out there with some going for hundreds or even thousands of dollars that come with exotic designs and are encrusted with luxury materials.
How Long Can You Leave Wine in a Decanter?
The answer is that it depends on the type of wine and the age of the wine, the amount of time that you will store the wine in a decanter ranges from 30 minutes to 3 hours. To stay on the safe side, you can decant your wine for 30 minutes and then serve it. However, if you have the time you can always search on Google ‘how long can you leave wine in a decanter‘ for the particular wine that you are planning to drink in order to get a more accurate answer. Some experts do say that you can store wine in a decanter for up to 24 hours before the wine starts to spoil but the taste will not be as good if you had kept it only for the recommended 30 mins to 3 hours timeframe. Furthermore, a lot of quality wine manufacturers will put on the back of the bottle details such as the recommended amount of time you should leave your wine in a decanter.
To further develop your question of how long can you leave wine in a decanter, it is recommended especially with cheaper and lower quality brands of wine for you to leave them in a decanter for a while as it will create a very noticeable difference in the quality of the wine. This will, in turn, mean that you will no longer have to spend a lot of money on wine as you can now get a satisfactory experience for the cheaper wine brands thanks to decanting
Unfortunately, it is also not as simple as simply leaving your wine in the wine decanter and going, it will take a lot of trial and error of decanting the same wine over and over again to get the perfect formula that suits you. Other factors that you need to keep in mind is swilling the wine in the wine decanter, by swilling the wine in the wine decanter you can expose more of the wine to the air and therefore speed up the decanting process. However, overdoing it can lead to your wine developing an unpleasant sour taste, it is also recommended to not try and use swilling as a way to speed up the process as the wine will generally taste worse compared if it was just left to decant alone. You also need to note that you should store it the wine decanter in a cool dry place that will allow it do its job as if the temperature is too cold it will slow down the process and if it is too warm it can spoil the wine. Finally, do not wash your wine decanter with soap or washing up liquid as that can lead to a soapy after taste in the wine, instead just was the wine decanter by rinsing it with warm water.
We hope we answered your question of how long can you leave wine in a decanter in this article, the secrets are to place the wine in a decanter and then be patient for the amount of time required to wait to get the required results. To ensure success you also need to follow other requirements such as not swilling your wine too much while it is in the decanter, and not leaving it in an environment that is too hot or too cold. (Check out our article how long to aerate wine)